Monday, June 13, 2011

Sewing Project

Not so long ago, I made a summer to-do list. I was inspired by seeing the dresses that my roommate made, so number eleven on the list was to start sewing...
I brought one of my mom's sewing machines from home along with a big box of material (courtesy of Susie and grandma.)  I was full of good ideas for all of the cute dresses I was going to make and was exited to get started. Unfortunately, I remember why I hated sewing when I was younger.  I'm a stubborn girl who doesn't like to be told what to do, so would I want to follow a pattern? NO.  I'm determined but impatient, so would I precisely measure everything out, pin it neatly, or iron the seams for good measure? NO.  So the product of my ill-placed enthusiasm was two sad pieces of material that possibly could pass for a lumpy tank-top.  Not willing to give up so easily however, I moved on to a project a little more manageable for me... headbands!
Ok, they're not amazing, but I had fun making the little flowers.  I think Martha Stewart would be proud.

3 comments:

  1. Your sewing is great! I feel the exact same way as you do about patterns! I don't make any clothes because of that very reason! Although, Charlie and I made a shirt for him this winter, no pattern, from his own design and ideas. You can do that too! You have to check out a very cool website, I will have to find it and send it later, on cute sewing projects. There is a dress on there that looks managable to me and not so "pattern" like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool site, don't let the name scare you. Being young and free you still don't have all day to spend sewing. They have a section called "naptime projects". Here is a cute idea for a pillow.

    http://www.prudentbaby.com/2011/03/how-to-sew-zipper-pillow.html

    Here is the link to the dress I mentioned in my first comment. I am not sure if it is a stlye that a 20-something lady would wear:

    http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/12/modern-prairie-dress-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenny! I like the site. Especially the scrap-busting hair bows and the fabric flowers. They look so much better than mine :)

    ReplyDelete