Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Musical Education

MyEducationNovel.jpgRight now, I'm reading a book called, "My Education," by William S. Burroughs.  I picked it up at the library the other day when I was wandering aimlessly around and recognized the name from "Naked Lunch." I brought the book along to Lake Calhoun today to read as I lay on the beach.  Unfortunately, it has been one of those books that you just can't get into.  I turn the page and realize I couldn't tell you anything that I just read, so I go back and reread it.  It's not like me to give up on something, so I just keep trudging through this story of Burroughs' strange dreams.






I decided to take a break from this book and embark on my own sort of education.  Not about dreams, but a musical one.  (However, I did have the weirdest dream the other night, complete with mini jumping alligators, the Titanic, and hundreds of rabbits bleeding out of their ears...) I love music, and like with anything else I really love, I feel like I should explore it more and learn everything there is to know.  But there is so much music out there, how can you even begin explore it all?  But as in all journeys, it starts with a single step, and step one for me is to pick an artist I'm not familiar with and listen to their music for a week.  I know I always have big ideas, and I don't always follow through, but hopefully I'll do this for the rest of the summer. And blog about it of course!

Artist #1: Motion City Soundtrack

  • Indie rock/punk rock band from the one and only... Minneapolis!!
  • According to wikipedia, they have been described as "too diverse to fit into just one particular genre."
  • influenced by Ben Folds, one of my personal heroes :)









4 comments:

  1. Ooo! Do you take suggestions? That is if a suggestion from your cousin who is mostly incapable of clapping along to a beat much less singing is even valid in the musical world. My favorite band that few people know about (unless you are Canadian)is Great Big Sea. Although, per my caveat above, they might be crap, how would I know???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I will definitely put them in my calendar for next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to hear and see the progress you make in the area of music. I love your perspective and hunger for learning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jenny! Now I feel more motivated to do this all summer :)

    ReplyDelete