Sunday, June 12, 2011

Artist of the week: Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea is a Canadian rock band whose songs draw from sea shanties, songs used to synchronize the movements of sailors as they went about their work. The best part about this group is the eclectic mix of instruments: fiddle, accordion, bagpipes, mandolin, concertina, tin whistle, etc. etc.
Bouzouki
bones (what?!)

This song is probably my favorite... I know it from somewhere, since I was singing along with. But I have no clue from where.   It really reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot. Which reminds me of listening to public radio on Sunday evenings in the kitchen with my parents.


Isn't it funny how the littlest thing can be so comforting?  After being away from home for a year, I love it when I wake up in my bed at home to the sound of Dad listening to Bob & Tom in the morning.  I don't even listen to what they say, it's just a conditioned response where I know it's going to be a relaxing morning of crossword puzzles and coffee with my Dad.  

Speaking of Dad... I bet not many Dads can say they get two Father's Days in a year. Mine can. Apparently Father's Day is next Sunday, not today.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment