Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bunk-beds are the devil.

I have come to this conclusion after the long and arduous process of assembling my childhood bunk beds in my temporary room with my sister.  It sounded too easy to be true; just four boards to screw into the headboards, and voila!

First mistake: screwing in one end before checking if the other end fit.  Second mistake: assuming the board was backwards instead of the headboard.  After many trail and errors, we had every piece in the right place.  Let me just say right now that my sister isn't the most capable of carpenters.  Despite being very smart and athletic, she's rendered useless when ever a big project crops up.  Probably because I tend to get controlling and tell people, "just let me do it myself!"  (Even at a young age, I was telling the old ladies at church, "Myself!" when they'd try to zip my coat)  So... when I say "we" in this story, I actually mean "I."

After a lot of sweat, swearing, and creative thinking, the bed was put together with the bottom bed perpendicular to the top.  Smart, right? Well, I didn't feel so smart when I tried climbing up and the bed swayed back and forth. After only some slight screaming, I shimmied back down to the steady, solid floor.

So, if Kari and I are found dead in the morning in a pile of broken wood and headboards, my biggest regret will be that I only made it to my second blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment